The Color Our Libraries Book Drive
The Color Our Libraries Book Drive is a diversity initiative designed to increase representation of authors and main characters of color in every library collection within Woodstock Community Unit School District 200.
Organized by Woodstock D200 graduates with support from the superintendent, librarians, and the D200 Education Foundation, Color Our Libraries aims to supply each of the 12 libraries in our district with an additional 15-20 diverse titles.
We believe providing inclusive books celebrates diversity. We also believe that by sharing stories written by and for people of color, children can learn about the biases inherent in our predominant culture and the struggles that people of color endure as a result. We also seek to give children of color the opportunity to see themselves reflected in their libraries.
Our desire to contribute comes from a place of love for Woodstock and an urge to give back to the community that raised us. By ordering all books through our local bookstore, Read Between the Lynes, we are committed to keeping donors’ money local, which also serves our community.
How to Donate to the Color Our Libraries Book Drive
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve extended our book drive to allow you to donate beyond our initial timeline. There are two ways to donate to the Color Our Libraries Diversity Book Drive. First, you can visit Read Between the Lynes in Woodstock to sponsor a book. You can also make a tax-exempt donation through the D200 Education Foundation by clicking on the PayPal Donate Now button below.
Read Between the Lynes Hours of Operation
Tuesday: 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
Wednesday: 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Thursday: 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Friday: 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
Sunday: 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Social Distancing and Other Guidelines at Read Between the Lynes
- Masks will be required for all entering the store. Staff will be wearing masks or face shields as well.
- The store permits 25 customers to be admitted at one time. Once at capacity, we ask that you wait outside of the door until the next customer exits. Due to this restriction, we ask that you make your selection in a timely manner.
- We request that you maintain a 6-foot distance both inside the store and while waiting outside. We have moved our displays to allow for extra distancing.
- Upon entering the store, you will see directional arrows to assist in managing traffic and comply with suggested six-feet separation. We will also have floor markers to help with this.
- We have changed our check-out systems. You will see signage about this, and staff will be happy to assist with any questions.